Monday, May 15, 2006

Many many happy returns of the day:

No I am not celebrating my birthday today. Two people in our project are celebrating their birthdays today. So I was sending them birthday wishes. While composing my mail, I noticed one thing...Why we all wish a person "Many many happy returns of the day”? Or how did it all start? Thanks to Google and Wikipedia which always serve as a warehouse of solutions to all my queries. This time Google helped me out. The happy returns on your birthday refer to solar returns - the moment when the sun returns to the zodiac sign and degree it occupied at your birth. It began as an occult wish, recalling our birth and anticipating the next life. Then people started using it frequently…And we are all following that tradition.

1 comment:

Pushan Sikdar said...

nice find..
i used to think...that we wish,so that person get happiness as returns for being a spl day,bday