Thursday, October 18, 2007

1+4+0+8=13

After a long gap I am now back to the bloggers world. Now in an area which I am unfamiliar with, writing a movie review. Although I am a movie buff and love to discuss movies, I have never written a review. And all the readers can expect the movies from 30's (I am very much interested in Classics, and have seen many in an attempt to finish of Top 250 films rated by IMDB) to the latest releases.

My view might vary significantly to those of critics so I will be adding my rating as well as that of IMDB. Sometimes even I feel the critics are biased. As Harsha Bhogle referred during Bizarre an open quiz last week in IIM Bangalore about the movie, “A Clockwork Orange” as the famous King’s robe. As no one questioned what is so great about the movie, it got labelled as a master piece. Frankly speaking like Harsha, I wasn’t able to make out why the critics rated it as one of the best movies ever.

Starting of with a movie which I watched yesterday. Its 1408 starring John Cussack and Samuel Jackson in lead roles. When I picked the movie from a dvd library I thought it has got something to do with triskaidekaphobia (fear of no 13) as all the digits in the title added to 13. Got fascinated with the numbers due to another movie Number 23 starring Jim Carrey, who in the movie plays a guy obsessed with 23 and thinks that all the things happening in his life has got to do something with 23. After watching the movie I noticed that all the things associated with my friend adds to Number 19. This included his company ID, his birth year, his access card no, last 4 digits of credit card, and list goes on. Last but not the least his name started with 19th letter of alphabet. :)

Now back to the review part. The movie as expected is different from all those typical haunted hotel/house ones (Cusack himself starred in such a film, Identity ). It however drew inspiration from Stanley Kubrick's Shining . Though it started off well for all those who love such genres of horror, there were hardly any instances that cause an adrenalin rush and it disappoints those who have seen movies like Shining. But it stands apart from all those with all those graphical scenes to label it in a horror tag. John Cusack did a great job as the lead man. After watching the movie when I checked the wiki for all those trivia regarding the film, I found that it has got an alternate ending too. :( For all those seeking for a terror fest out here, there isn't much you can expect. But overall it is an ok movie to watch and those who love psychological thriller are gonna love this one.

My rating : 6.5

IMDB rating: 7.2

IMDB ratings followed by mine of other movies discussed in the post

A Clockwork Orange 8.5   6.0
Identity 7.3   6.0
The Shining 8.4   7.0
The Number 23 6.3   7.5


Next movie in the line is Howard Hawk's Monkey Business starring Cary Grant & Marilyn Monroe.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

nikhil plz review blood diamond :)